LAPD Crime Prevention Tips
Posted By flanglois on April 12, 2017
LAPD CRIME PREVENTION TIPS
CAR THEFT PREVENTION TIPS ~ Car thefts seem to occur with greater frequency where large groups of cars are parked for extended periods of time in places such as shopping centers, colleges, sporting events, movie complexes, and large parking lots. Car thefts occur at random on different days of the week and times of the day, depending on the locations.
Below are some tips you can use to avoid being the victim of a car thief:
- Never leave your car running unattended, even to dash into a business, store, etc.;
- Never leave any keys in the car or ignition, inside a locked garage, or in hide-a-key boxes;
- Always roll up your windows and lock the car, even if it is parked in front of your home;
- Never leave valuables in plain view, even if your car is locked. Put them in the trunk out of sight;
- Always park in high-traffic, well-lighted areas, when possible;
- Install a mechanical device that locks the steering wheel, column, or brakes. These devices will deter some criminals;
- Investigate the purchase of a vehicle theft tracking/security system, especially if you own one of the frequently stolen model vehicles;
- Never leave personal identification documents, vehicle ownership title, or credit cards in your vehicle;
- Copy your license plate and vehicle information (VIN) numbers on a card and keep them with you. If your vehicle is stolen, the police will need this information to take a report; and,
- If your vehicle is stolen, report it to the police immediately.
Remember, there is no guarantee that your car will not be stolen, but taking precautionary measures can minimize your chances of becoming the victim of auto theft.
THEFT PREVENTION AT GAS STATIONS ~ Most of the time, gas station customers leave their car doors unlocked and items like purses and wallets are often left in plain view. A thief is able to drive up next to the victim’s car, open an unlocked door, and grab any valuables within reach. Then, the thief quickly drives off. It happens in a matter of seconds.
But these thefts can be easily prevented if the appropriate precautions are taken. LAPD Police Department recommends the following tips to prevent citizens from becoming victims of theft at area gas stations.
- Pick stations that are well-lit and have video surveillance cameras at the pump.
- Always remove your keys and lock the doors while you are pumping gas.
- Keep valuables out of plain view in your vehicle and lock the doors even if you are going inside for a moment.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Don’t let your cell phone distract you.
BUILDING, PARKING GARAGE, PERIMETER ~ Please keep an eye out for any activity that appears out of the ordinary and report any suspicions or concerns to the front desk and/or call 911. Something as simple as someone walking around the garage aimlessly is enough to solicit a call.
ELEVATORS ~ If someone is in the elevator and cannot seem to select a floor, DO NOT scan your fob. Please direct the person to the front desk. This will prevent unauthorized access or at the very least help a lost individual find their way.
PARKING GATES ~ If a resident approaches the gate and there is a car and/or person waiting, DO NOT open the gate, unless you recognize the person as a resident. Otherwise, wait a moment to make sure the person has a garage remote. If they remain in front of the gate, contact the front desk to report the location and a description of the individual. Either wait for Luma staff to verify the person at the gate is authorized to enter or enter through a different gate. Please contact the front desk if you notice any suspicious foot traffic or activity around the parking gates.
VEHICLE ~ You heard it a million times – always lock your vehicle and never leave items in plain view. Valuable items, including cell phones, GPS devices, laptops or backpacks/purses should be removed from your vehicle every time you park. If you must leave personal items in your vehicle, place them inside the trunk and/or out of sight.
REMINDER ~ Please remember that residents should not rely on the Association to protect them from loss or harm. Residents should take every precaution to secure themselves and their personal belongings such as but not limited to, carrying insurance against loss, keeping doors (cars and units) locked, refusing to open any doors to strangers, asking workmen for identification and reporting anyone who is acting in a suspicious manner. A phone call can be very helpful in preventing and decreasing risks.
LAPD CONTACTS ~
Non-Emergency: 877-275-5273 or 877-ASK-LAPD
OTHER USEFUL CONTACTS AND LINKS ~
Luma’s Front Desk: 213-742-0387 or LumaFrontDeskStaff@actionlife.com
Crime Mapping Link: https://www.crimemapping.com/Share/e077576c2b4f4776a0b68fde3b6ce788
South Park BID: General Inquiries 213-663-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org ,
24/7 Service Requests 866-560-9346 or email@example.com